Can Acupuncture for Vertigo Help Alleviate Your Worst Symptoms?
Vertigo is a sensation of feeling as though the room or the environment surrounding the person is spinning, and it can be a daily experience for some vertigo patients. These unpleasant dizzy spells have the sufferers on a constant search to find relief, one such method being acupuncture for vertigo treatment. Acupuncture is not to be confused with acupressure which we have previously covered extensively.
What is Acupuncture?
Acupuncture is a traditional Chinese method of medicine that is used to relieve health conditions and symptoms, such as pain. During the session, an acupuncturist inserts very thin, steel needles into the patient’s skin at multiple different “acupoints.” The needles are meant to rebalance the body’s energy, or ‘qi’, and prompt the body to release natural chemicals to fight the illness or negative symptoms in patients. There have been many studies that have proven the effectiveness of this type of treatment.
Acupuncture for Vertigo Treatment
Acupuncture has been used to alleviate symptoms like pain, dizziness and vertigo for hundreds of years. For many patients, acupuncture is a safe, alternative method to help with their vertigo and imbalance when traditional medications or prescriptions do not provide the relief they need.
Acupuncture points can be found throughout the body, and points of the body used in the treatment of vertigo and dizziness are personalized for each patient and are dependent upon underlying health issues and symptoms. Acupuncture for the treatment of vertigo is thought to help by:
- Increasing blood flow
- Increasing endorphins by stimulating nerves located in muscles and other tissues
- Reduced inflammation
- Reducing dizziness by needling certain specific points
Acupuncture Points for Vertigo Treatment
- GB-20 – This point is located at the top of the sternocleidomastoid muscle, which runs from the back of the head and down to the front of the shoulders at the clavicle.
- SI-19 – Located at the anterior to the tragus and posterior to the condyloid process of the mandible, in the depression formed when the mouth is open.
- PC-6 – A point that sits between the tendons of the palmaris longus and flexor carpi radialis muscles
- EX-HN3 – located midway between the medial ends of the eyebrows
These are a few points that may be targeted to aid in vertigo relief, among others depending on the patient.
While acupuncture usually is considered generally safe there are some risks to be aware of, such as:
- Bleeding, bruising, and soreness may occur at the sites where the needles are inserted
- Unsterilized needles can lead to infection
- In rare cases, needles may break and damage internal organs, which can cause serious harm
Getting Treatment for Vertigo
Acupuncture for vertigo is just one of many treatment options available to vertigo sufferers. It’s essential that you treat the problem itself and not just manage the symptoms or seek treatment that may not fit your particular case. It’s a good idea to have your vertigo properly diagnosed. There are a handful of vertigo tests available that can help you find a treatment plan that can lead to relief permanently from vertigo. For those suffering from vertigo spins right now and are looking for immediate relief, I encourage you to download our free 5-step vertigo guide that will give you some great ways to relieve vertigo symptoms quickly.
At Align Wellness Center, we have helped thousands of patients that have suffered with vertigo and are looking for alternative medicine. These patients are finally seeing relief from vertigo and are feeling better overall for it. Vertigo can improve drastically through corrective chiropractic care.
If you or someone you know is having vertigo symptoms and have tried acupuncture for vertigo or other alternative treatment methods, they need to be looked at by a corrective chiropractor and ensure the cervical spine is in alignment as well as other areas of the body. If you’re looking for a chiropractor that will take a natural and holistic approach to helping you with your issues with vertigo, give us a call, even if you’re out of our area, we can look to connect you with a chiropractor near you.
We offer an in-depth exam to determine exactly what we can do to help with as much detail for you as possible. It is called the 3-Dimensional BioStructural Analysis, and the process involves the following:
- Timeline history
- Digital posture exam
- 3-Dimensional posture exam
- Chiropractic, Neurological, and Physical Exam
- Spinal radiographs (if needed)
- Digital biomechanical analysis of your spine
- Insurance verification (by our insurance team)
- Separate time to go over the results of your test within a day or two, where we will go over:
- What is going on
- If we can help
- What the best next step is for you
- Any investment in your health that is necessary
If you’re interested, you can schedule an appointment for a 3-Dimensional BioStructural Analysis here. If you’d like tips on how you can stay healthy and well without drugs and surgery, go ahead and check out other articles on this site. If you continue to struggle with vertigo give us a call at Align Wellness Center (847) 860-6599 or schedule an appointment online. Contact us today or stop by the office. We’re located at 900 Skokie Blvd., Suite 113, Northbrook, IL, 60062.