Natural Remedies for Vertigo to Reduce the Severity of Vertigo Attacks
Vertigo, the feeling that you or the world is spinning, is a debilitating symptom to experience, especially when it is severe, recurring, and unpredictable. It can cause a range of other symptoms such as nausea, blurred vision, dizziness and balance issues or hearing loss. There are many natural remedies for vertigo that can aid in reducing the severity of vertigo attacks and their accompanying symptoms.
Whether the cause of your vertigo is BPPV, Meniere’s disease, or another underlying condition, these methods may be able to provide relief to you as well.
Natural Remedies for Vertigo Relief
If you prefer to avoid medications, which is always a good idea, some natural home remedies can help improve your vertigo as well as manage the symptoms. Try some of these safe, practical ideas to help you.
Maneuvers for Vertigo
There are several maneuvers to try that can help soothe your vertigo symptoms, and may even eliminate them entirely. These maneuvers all involve movement of some kind that works by tilting the head, or moving the whole body, to move the crystals out of the semicircular canals of the ear. This causes them to stop displacing fluid, relieving dizziness and nausea.
The food you eat can help alleviate your symptoms of vertigo, or stand to aggravate them. Knowing which foods trigger vertigo, knowing which foods are good food for vertigo as well as which ones may cause your vertigo to occur may be able to decrease your risk of vertigo attacks and the discomfort that’s associated with the symptoms. Here are a few foods you can try that may help:
- Vitamin C rich foods – Studies have shown that those who suffer from Meniere’s disease who took vitamin C every day saw improvement in their vertigo. This includes sweet potatoes, tomatoes, strawberries and dark green leafy vegetables.
- Ginger – Ginger is often used in the management of motion sickness. In studies with vertigo patients ginger powder extract was proven to be effective to treat vertigo.
- Almonds – Almonds boost the strength of the body and help fight diseases, including preventing accumulation of disease-causing substances in the ear.
Keeping up your water intake – Vertigo can actually be a sign of dehydration. Staying hydrated and drinking more water could help reduce your risk of experiencing vertigo. Reducing the amount of soda may also keep you from getting dehydrated.
Manage Your Stress Levels
Many people are unaware how stress causes vertigo. Anxiety and stress are common triggers in many conditions, and this can be just as true for vertigo. Learning how to cope with the 3 different stressors can go a long way in keeping vertigo at bay.
Preventative Tips for Vertigo
Here are a few self-care measures you can take that can help in alleviating the symptoms of vertigo, manage vertigo or prevent a future vertigo episode:
- Elevate your head with extra pillows while you sleep
- Ensure you’re getting enough sleep
- Avoid straining your eyes
- Try breathing exercises to combat dizziness
- Sit still or lie down when experiencing an acute episode
- Employ the use of a cane to improve balance
- Refrain from bending over repetitively, like when cleaning at home
Chiropractic for Natural Vertigo Relief
For some, the battle with vertigo feels endless, no solution has worked, and they are left believing they have to just cope with it. At Align Wellness Center, we have helped thousands of patients that have struggled with vertigo symptoms and are searching for natural remedies for vertigo. These patients are finally seeing relief from their vertigo issues and are feeling better overall for it. Vertigo attacks can improve drastically through corrective chiropractic care.
If you or someone you know is suffering from vertigo, they need to be looked at by a corrective chiropractor and ensure the cervical spine is in alignment as well as other areas of the body. If you’re looking for a chiropractor that will take a natural and holistic approach to helping you with your issues with vertigo, or in any other problem areas, give us a call, even if you’re out of our area, we can look to connect you with a chiropractor near you.
We offer an in-depth exam to determine exactly what we can do to help with as much detail for you as possible. It is called the 3-Dimensional BioStructural Analysis, and the process involves the following:
- Timeline history
- Digital posture exam
- 3-Dimensional posture exam
- Chiropractic, Neurological, and Physical Exam
- Spinal radiographs (if needed)
- Digital biomechanical analysis of your spine
- Insurance verification (by our insurance team)
- Separate time to go over the results of your test within a day or two, where we will go over:
- What is going on
- If we can help
- What the best next step is for you
- Any investment in your health that is necessary
If you’re interested, you can schedule an appointment for a 3-Dimensional BioStructural Analysis here. If you’d like tips on how you can stay healthy and well without drugs and surgery, go ahead and check out other articles on this site. If you continue to struggle with vertigo, give us a call at Align Wellness Center (847) 860-6599 or schedule an appointment online. Contact us today or stop by the office. We’re located at 900 Skokie Blvd., Suite 113, Northbrook, IL, 60062.